Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, ISSN - 0973 - 709X

Users Online : 26000

Case report
Table of Contents - Year : 2016 | Month : April | Volume : 10 | Issue : 4 | Page : OD18 - OD19

An Unusual Case of Hcv Negative Cryoglobulinemia Presenting as Symmetrical Peripheral Gangrene OD18-OD19

Siba Prasad Dalai, Lalit Kumar Meher, Samir Kumar Behera, Sachidananda Nayak, Sujit Kumar Tripathy

Dr. Siba Prasad Dalai,
Junior Resident, Room No: 18, PG Hostel 2, MKCG Medical College, Brahmapur, Odisha, India.

Cryoglobulins are monoclonal or polyclonal immunoglobulins that undergo reversible precipitation at low temperatures. Cryoglobulinemia is associated with HCV infection in more than 90% cases, the remaining 10% being called as Essential Cryoglobulinemia which is generally associated with a severe course and suboptimal response to conventional therapies. As the digital vessels are more prone to colder temperatures, hyperviscosity in those vessels can initiate local thrombosis and may manifest as ischemic ulceration and gangrene. We report here a very unusual case of HCV negative cryoglobulinemic vasculitis presenting as symmetrical peripheral gangrene of fingers and toes.