Button Battery Ingestion: A Conundrum of Preventable Sequelae Management MD01-MD04
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat, Head and Neck Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal-576104, Karnataka, India.
Foreign body ingestion is frequently encountered in infants and young children. In recent years, button batteries have become extremely common among household use. As a result of this, there has been an increase in the outcomes related to this button batteries ingestion. Literature reports that there has been a 6.7 fold increase in the major or fatal outcomes associated with button battery ingestion. The complications are attributed to the electric current generated at the negative pole of the battery and the discharge of alkaline electrolytes, leading to liquefaction necrosis and also due to pressure necrosis. Here, authorsâ€™ report with two cases of button battery ingestion, of which one case had a fatal outcome and about the measures taken in the second case to avoid major or fatal consequences.