To Study the Efficacy of Difluprednate Ophthalmic Emulsion and Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic Suspension on Post-operative Inflammation in Cataract Surgery NC05-NC08
Dr. Punita Garg,
F-8, MMU Campus, Mullana, Ambala, Haryana, India.
Introduction: Senile cataract is the most common cause of visual impairment. Removal of cataract and implantation of intraocular lens implantation (IOL) is the main surgical approach for cataract. The major block in quick visual rehabilitation of the patient is post-operative inflammation. To limit post-operative inflammation corticosteroids drugs are used in routine prophylactically. Topical prednisolone acetate 1% and betamethasone 0.1% remain gold standard to control post-operative inflammation but newer drugs like difluprednate, loteprednol are also effective in controlling inflammation.
Aim: To study the efficacy of difluprednate ophthalmic emulsion and prednisolone acetate ophthalmic suspension on Post-operative inflammation in cataract surgery (clear corneal phacoemulsification with foldable IOL).
Materials and Methods: This study was carried out on 100 patients having visually significant cataract requiring surgery, clear corneal phacoemulsification with foldable intraocular lens implantation was done in all patients. Patients were randomly divided into two groups. In group A topical 1% prednisolone acetate ophthalmic suspension was administered six times a day Post-operatively. In group B 0.05% difluprednate ophthalmic emulsion was administered six times a day post-operatively. Efficacy of drug was evaluated in terms of decrease in ocular pain, anterior chamber reaction in the form of aqueous cells and flare and final visual acuity at 4 weeks.
Results: In this study, 92% of patients in group A and 90% of patients in group B had BCVA 6/6. None of the patients in group A had ocular pain. In group B, 96% patients had no ocular pain. Remaining 4% had mild discomfort but required no medication. 98% of patients in group A and 100% of patients in group B presented with clearance of aqueous cells at the end of study. Only 2% of patients in group A had showed cell score (Â±).
Conclusion: Though prednisolone acetate has been the gold standard anti inflammatory agent, 0.05% Difluprednate ophthalmic emulsion is equally effective in treatment of post-operative inflammation. Difluprednate have added an advantage of uniform drug dosage and absence of harmful preservative.